The central storage unit couldn’t meet the increasing business demands of the infrastructure developer company. NIF Zrt. has decided to enhance the performance of the system with a Flash array.
To tackle this challenge we have picked the Pure Storage FA-m20-10TB storage with its 6.14 TB of capacity (and up to 150,000 IOPS with 32k block size). This storage has excellent deduplication and compression capabilities which – after moving the databases and virtual environments – allowed us to greatly expand the storage space without lowering the performance. The unique redundancy and software solutions of the system make the online replacement of hardware elements and updating the software and controllers possible. We are proud that by the end of this project not only did we increase the storage space, but we have managed to come up with a very innovative and versatile solution for NIF Zrt.
What were our experiences during the project?
- While on the previous array the Exchange nodes took 4 TBs of space, they only take 750 GBs on the new All-Flash storage.
- We have managed to move 13 TB of data instead of the inital goal of 10 TB. Yet 50% raw storage space is still free.
- Migration of the OS drives of 40 virtual machines used only 200 GB of storage space while the machines got drastically faster.
- The empty space on the disks of the virtual machines use no capacity at all on the storage.
- The writing speed of the SQL server reached the speed of 1.5 GB/s after migration.
- The deduplication capabilities drastically minimize the storage needs of testing environments which greatly speeds them up.
Installing the PureStorage Flash drive exceeded our expectations. We would like to thank Invigor Informatika Kft. for it’s professionalism during the project. - Máté Mikos head of IT department, NIF Zrt.